happy thoughts. angst. halters. memories. nurses notes. biting realities. hopes. impulses. dreams. stilletos. escapades. tears. love. pleasure. confusion. muffins. tears. frustrations. anxiety. ipod. puffs. my life. boredom. ordinary distinctiveness.


Thursday, September 4, 2008

Hancock


As expected, the movie started out - like all modern day super hero movies - with an explosive first 5 minutes. What’s the flipside? The super hero was unloved and unlooked-up to by the whole city. He saves a guy who brings him to a family dinner where he meets the people who would turn his world around. He unenthusiastically succumbed to a series of personality and status change and was finally applauded by the whole city. He accepted he was a hero and with renewed zest, that's how he lived his life.

Interestingly enough, I never imagined that a superhero movie could be something that I could relate to. Hancock was alone, miserable and took comfort in drinking liquor. There is no worse state in a person's life.

I was in a pit, dark, of an unimaginable depth, and your eardrums would burst because of the echo created by my scream. I had friends who stopped at nothing to solve my problems. They said they cared. I called it snooping. They tried to bring me back to my senses. I called it repression. Until recently, I found myself surrounded by a calm feeling. Yes, that familiar cool air that comes only with cone of vanilla ice cream on hot summer afternoon. It was the day I accepted the fact that no one can help me. It was the day I accepted the fact that my brain's decision-making capabilities greatly affected my life. I had a family and a bunch of friends who wasted their time and effort, in moving my eyes to the right direction. They tossed me a little rope. However, what saved me was the courage to accept that only I could make "the move". I did what I had to do. I don't know if I made the right decision. The only thing that I am certain of is that I made up my mind. I did something to change the course of my life.

Despite, the awful movie reviews, Hancock emerged to be a hero in an average person's view. Yeah, it’s because average people can relate to him. Hancock was an average guy, living a loser life, with a bit of awesomeness. The awesomeness that a "human" possesses may not move cars or make a person fly from a skyscraper to the street. This amazing feat can only be achieved when you finally admit that you were cut out to do things, better than you do now. Your dad did not father the most insignificant bastard in the universe. Let me put it this way; antidepressants are coupled with drinking water to work. It requires you to move a group of muscles to ingest and swallow it. Absorption just follows and before you know it, you're happy.

Like Hancock, we meet people we consider as insignificant but may forever change our life. Only, they can't do it alone. We need to move. We need to help ourselves be the biggest jock in the universe. Unlike Hancock, we don’t have an eternity to discover what we’re meant to do. Our life is not a movie set. There are no cuts. Long story short, there are factors that affect your life but only you can say what you want to do, when you want to do it and how you want to do it.